PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 320/737 25-year-old commander and 19-year-old first officer
Old 23rd Aug 2007, 05:52
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Snoop

TopSlide6:

My comments were only made in order to provoke a discussion, not provoke or insult anybody. It is my sincere belief that very little of one's delicate ego should be allowed into a c0ckpit or into a Pprune discussion. Read much further down to discover what I left out of the previous post.

Just two/three general questions come to mind. You stated that "Age and experience are not linked", or something like that. But I'm a slow learner.
If a pilot has flown more or less full-time since age 22, how are increases in age an experience not directly linked? But I'm certainly not the smartest type "of guy. It was my mistaken impression that more experience usually benefits "situational awareness. Maybe theory is, to some extent, an adequate substitute-for just some of the IOE hours. We Yanks often don't have nearly as much theoretical grounding as those east of the Atlantic. Some study guides here are a bit of a joke, regarding the 727 "FE written exam" etc.

Where in my previous have I said that older pilots are better, because of their age? Most of my learning has gone from 'my' First Officers-they run the show on the ground and I pace calling of checklists based upon their many duties and better memories of many things (and we have no computers to fly the old airplanes).

At the end of a Pink Floyd song (The Dark Side O.T.M.), the guy says "Good manners don't cost nothing...".
Well, no matter which Trans-atlantic misunderstandings pop up, you English guys have always produced the best rock and roll bands of all time (Mott. Deep P., Led Z...), and many excellent aircraft-and our guys were not required to pilot 2- or 4-engine bombers and transports solo!

Last edited by Ignition Override; 25th Aug 2007 at 06:41.