PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 320/737 25-year-old commander and 19-year-old first officer
Old 22nd Aug 2007, 16:01
groundbum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
experience DOES matter

I think you're all pulling examples of young captains out the air, and I'm sure there are lots of examples of these kind of people, but I also bet they are the exception and not the rule.

Lets face it you don't get to, say, 500 hours, and then plateau in terms of knowledge and skill. So more is better, at least until say 50 or so when you get jaded. As a passenger I would feel *much* safer knowing that the captain and FO are both very very experienced, with as many hours as possible.

Why? Because that way they have made tiny mistakes and booboos over the past 10 years or whatever. But luckily all the odd and weird tiny gotchas that can happen once 1000 hours have been seen before, and hopefully caught by the trainee FO and his/her experienced captain before they escalate to something major.

Whereas put two junior people on the flight deck and I am sure tiny things that don't happen very often will overwhelm the two inexperienced people and things will sprial nastily. Far Far better to make the mistakes as an FO, let the captain watch you dig yourself into an ever deeper hole, and then rescuse you when he's convinced you've scared yourself silly. That's sometimes the only way to learn. And it does take time and repetition.

(and no, I'm not a pilot, but have mentored and managed enough people to enjoy watching new people stuff it up totally, and then explain nicely a few things they could try differently next time).