PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC Hassle
Thread: ATC Hassle
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2007, 21:55
Sky Wave

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Any ATCO who manages to do that wants their a$$ kicked. You either hold the push and push in slot order, or you remote hold and get the earlier traffic past them that way. So - a competent ATCO won't let that happen and because of that the aircraft WILL NOT go outside slot
Lucky that ATCO's are perfect beings that don't make mistakes then.

In such a scenario you would get a slot extension from the Flow Desk - you would not "shoot them off" without reference to them.
I must have dreamt speaking to a tower watch supervisor that told me that they allow aircraft to depart slightly after their CTOT margin if they'd been delayed at the hold.
(Notice how I choose my words carefully, since despite the fact that I've heard tower controllers use the term "launching aircraft" it seems that people will jump down my throat if I use said term.)

The CTOT is actually an absolute as far as you the pilot is concerned - you should be working to be at the threshold at that time. The -5/+10 minutes belongs to ME - not the aircraft
Unfortunately, pilots are not perfect beings and working to a zero minute tolerance at the threshold is beyond most of us.

From your tone it seems that you want to cause a divide between pilots and ATCO’s, which is a shame. I’ve taken time to visit tower and approach controllers and I’ve also visited LTCC in order to better appreciate the job that you guys do. As I’ve said before I think you do a great job. I see us all as one team and it saddens me that you come out with comments like
The -5/+10 minutes belongs to ME - not the aircraft
Anyway, let’s go back a few posts, and ignore my mistaken belief that ATCO’s will allow aircraft to depart outside of the CTOT -5/+10 minute margin. Given that I am incorrect on that front, do we agree on all other points of discussion here?

Back to the original topic, if the ATCO's own the -5/+10 minutes it’s no wonder that the EZY crew were desperate to
be at the threshold at that time