PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asian Pilot Shortage
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2007, 17:19
iMad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SIC, I have ZERO intention of turning this into an EXPAT vs CADET argument. I didn't exactly sit around waiting for a cadetship to happen, but that's another story, let's keep this civil alright?
I know you've had to prostitute yourself, and work your axx off.... for some shady operator to get to where you are now, I respect that. I also respect your ability to operate an aircraft. I respect your experience. But my point is that at least you had the CHANCE to build that experience. Given the chance I'm sure a lot of Asians would do the same. The problem is we can't even afford to start! Go try and tell some Mainland Chinese or Indian whose family is struggling to feed themselves properly that they should spend 500K on getting their son a CPL. Even if they wanted to borrow the money to do so they won't be able to.
Try put yourself into the shoe of a low-income family in HK, you're the 21-year old son who dreams of flying one day, but you cannot afford to fly in HK (or anywhere else for that matter), what would YOU do? Would you say "oh if I joined CX as a cadet I would be undermining the efforts of all those expats to raise their salaries cos by hiring me CX will be saving housing costs, so I guess I better not join and give up this life-long dream."?
"2. Pilot shortages will eventually be eradicated by huge cadet schemes. These cadets will be signed up for cheap long contracts and will fill all the slots in future. Ie. once again it will do nothing to improve your conditions cause a local cadet with a big bond/low starting salary/no housing and education allowance will cost the company a lot less over a 25 year career than an expat ever will."
1. I'm not on a bond. 2. My starting salary is the same as yours.
So I'm cheap labour? I'm on the same contract as you. What makes me cheap labour? Yes I don't get housing, I'm from Hong Kong, I expected it, but hey don't get me wrong, if the company wants to give me housing I wouldn't mind. I just resent the fact that you keep on saying I'm cheap labour. Do Qantas/BA cadets get housing? Do you get housing on a base? Why am I the cheap labour who undercuts YOUR salaries when the only difference is that I don't get housing because I'm from HK?
I am on your side mate
call me lazy but I don't research all threads.... all I've seen on THIS thread is you ridiculing us about crosswind landings and how my "existence threatens the value of this career" ..
my prediction that this career is doomed by cadet schemes/ MPL etc etc etc
The cadet scheme has been running for nearly 20 years, do you really think your career is doomed?