PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asian Pilot Shortage
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2007, 16:07
iMad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With regards to cadets - I don't think it is a great way to get into the game either - and have done enough flying with guys like that to see many of them shy away from a crosswind. But their ability is not the point. The fact that their existence threatens the value of this career is the point I have been making since this thread started.
SIC, so you don't think its a great way to get into the game as a cadet huh? Yes I'd agree with you, I'd much rather live near an airfield where I can watch airplanes take off and land all day, where I can pay AUD100 to fly for an hour or even better, have a father who owns a Cessna so I can fly it everyday, building my experience from when I'm 16 years old and be surrounded by a developed Aviation environment.
But do you see that around Asia?
If you knew anything about Asia you would know that there is very little to no general aviation in many countries here. Even if there is a flying club, they are mostly set up to cater for the "rich" and "upper circle" so they can impress their model girlfriends on weekends....(would YOU be able to afford a PPL course at HKD2500/hour when you were 16??)
My point is, there are very few chances for most of the people in Asia to get into Aviation and a cadetship is very probably their ONLY chance to fly. The areas which need most pilots now, China and India, are prime examples. I'm so sorry for devaluing "your" career, but from what you're saying, are you suggesting that all cadetships should be stopped so this career can remain an expat monopoly and therefore keep the wages high?