PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spin Recovery
Thread: Spin Recovery
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2007, 12:21
Crazy Cesna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ithinkso,

Your post about c150/c152 spins was very interesting to me. I am not sure but I think there is another developed spin mode in C152s. As you can see in my post I tried to do 3 to 4 rotations with full power but ailerons centred. As expected the nose comes up and stays up. I have not checked if the controls remain in the same position when released but as far as I found the spin is stable in the sense that no pilot input is required to continue the spin.

This spin can be recovered by power idle, centre aileron, opposite rudder, full forward and wait. The problem is it takes 3 to 5 revolutions to stop. I found that my Cesna drops back to the steep mode when aileron in spin direction is used. This would be the standard recovery technique for a flat spin and it works.

It’s surprising that in your spin neither the aileron nor the rudder has any influence. I would think that your spin mode is quite flat and due to the relatively low rate of rotation there is absolutely no clean airflow over the ailerons. So forget the ailerons.
But there are two things I can’t explain:
1) Why does rudder against the spin increase the rate of rotation?
2) Why does the elevator still work?

Do you have any thoughts about that?

There must be some people (probably old ones) who did the original spin testing for the c152. It would be very interesting to hear their opinion on these issues. I know some test pilots form diamond aircraft and they can tell a lot about recovering “unrecoverable” spins in a DA40.

Crazy Cesna