PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 320/737 25-year-old commander and 19-year-old first officer
Old 21st Aug 2007, 10:03
rai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1500hr command... no thanks

As im reading this thread ive just been trying to sort out my paperwork to unfreeze my ATPL.

So here i am with just over 1500 hrs. Ive had top quality training at a well respected school and passed with flying colours (excuse the pun). Ive been lucky enough to work for two airlines in the uk and recieved high quality training from both, one on a boeing and one on an airbus. Without sounding too cocky i like to think ive worked hard and achieved a high standard thoughout my short career so far. Sim checks are going from strength to strength and i get a lot of positive feeback from the skippers i fly with. Am i ready for a command??... hell no!

Just when i start to think "ive got the hang of this", something happens that ive never seen before and blows away all that cocky confidence and my capacity along with it! Its then that the captain im with (who i was starting to think was incompetent because he couldnt bothered to make SOP altimeter calls) suddenly steps in and makes a calm and measured command decision based on his/her vast experience on this type (or at this airfield or with this type of weather etc) and sorts the situation leading to a safe outcome. No amount of training, top marks or natural ability can substitute that in my humble opinion.