PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PFLs before first solo?
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2007, 09:17
rodthesod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with BEagle 100% on this one.
Looking back at my old RAF logbook I see that I first soloed the JP3 in just under 9 hours and I had never even passengered in any aircraft prior to my RAF training. The confidence boost from this event was enormous and much needed - I didn't think I was ready but my wise instructor did. During solo circuit consolidation (prior to PFL training) I experienced a flameout on the downwind leg which, due to good circuit positioning, was not a major problem - I was almost embarrased by the 'hot' relight I achieved having (instinctively?) turned to the runway the instant it started to go quiet.
I remember struggling a little initially with PFLs, and I'm grateful that this challenge came later - I might have been demoralised and not made the first solo 'gate'.
As for 'covering all eventualities before the student goes solo' - how stupid can you get? As others have said, modern training aircraft are designed to be reliable and forgiving. This allows students the great 'priviledge' of becoming experienced pilots before they have to become 'heros'.
Military and civil training syllabi have been well tried and tested over the years. Why can't some people accept that some 'wheels' don't need re-inventing?