PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 320/737 25-year-old commander and 19-year-old first officer
Old 21st Aug 2007, 08:24
Dani

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
25 year young captains is nothing new, it happened in regional aviation all the time. But rather as an exception. They used to be chosen because of their superior knowledge and abilities over others. Of course they had to have the necessary experience.

If you start with 20 years you built up a few thousand hours and a few seasons, so it just worked out.

In the India case I also have some serious doubt, if they really want to do it. 1500 hrs is definetly not enough. I'm pretty sure that after a few incident and accident, they will revert to the classical system. They do this of course only because they are so desperate.

I also have great concerns if this works within the traditional Asian culture.

Military pilots are mostly very succesful in younger ages, this is no surprise. They also fit to a complete different personal and professional profile (which you can often see when they change side). Most of their missions they have flown are training missions, while we on the line do "boring stuff" and train twice a year.

Dani