PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 320/737 25-year-old commander and 19-year-old first officer
Old 20th Aug 2007, 20:27
freightdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not sure what to say or mean. Experience canīt be bought, it has to be aquired over time - no matter how well the training is. Age is another element. I believe a combination of age and experience is the best recipe....maybe I should add adequate experience. I have seen airlines full of "fresh out of ab-initio training 200 hours guys", and heard their commanders claim they were acting flight instructors in addition to their actual job for the first couple of years......

On the other hand, I did during the mid 1990s fly for an Indian airline. Great people, and a wonderful experience, but I detected a culture I did not like, quite different from the US and Europe. While the youngsters were booksmart I was not convinced with the actual hands on stuff. Position was also a big thing, the respect for their commanders, or should I say the respect demanded by the commanders, did not improve CRM to put it mildly. It was Captain this and Captain that, and much more tense cockpit environment that I had ever seen, before or since.

I would love to take a LOA and return to India on a contract, but until the DGCA lets go of the 500 hours in command thing, it is out of the question. I have 12000 hours plus on adequate equipment, a few thousand of those hurs flown in India, but I still act as copilot for a major European airline due to seniority. However, I dare claim that I would make a better and safer alternative than many of the guys they are forced to upgrade these days.......heck I even have a Indian ALTP somewhere. I once did all the exams in Dehli, and at that time I was one of VERY few non-Indians to ever have flown for a Indian airline.