PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - abusing pilots must stop
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2007, 15:19
L A James

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vito? Is that you?!!!

Chuffin' hell... this forum is challenging my resolve to 'follow my dream'.

I am a wannabe who is "working to live" and has pretty much reached the end of his tether in the world of the office rat race. I have wanted to fly since my first ride in an RAF Hercules as a snotty 6yr old. Since then I've applied to RAF, Fleet Air Arm, Army Air Corps, BA, Flybe and BMI sponsorship schemes. I have also recently applied to OAT: Bond and Air Atlantic sponsorships. All the while, I'm chugging through the usual training routes. I once wrote a letter to every flying school in the UK asking for sponsorship to FI level in return for a 15yr commitment. Naive, I know. Maybe some of you FIs actually opened one of my letters.

I have recently presented to HSBC for a loan of 50k and am really nervous about following this route as I may well end up like you, Return, or Mr. Corleone. But what else can I do? I'm 27 already and have done well in the office world but have been struggling with uni debts... which has limited me in my self funded training. I fly para motors and microlights for enjoyment but will go insane soon unless I can folow the career I've always wanted.

Speaking of Mr. Corleone, this thread seems to be a direct follow on from "where are all the jobs then?" Return - you're not actually Vito Corleone in disguise are you?!!

The attitude of the low cost airlines won't change unless wannabee pilots join forces with qualified pilots in employment in order to act. This, obviously, is pie in the sky. Therefore, it will continue to be a ridiculous gamble. I have to confess, it's a gamble that I will take because I have to before I lose that snotty 6yr old forever.

L A