PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - abusing pilots must stop
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2007, 13:28
tom775257

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, if I could turn back time I wish I could tell myself not to bother flying professionally. I love flying, so PPL flying is what I should have stuck with, flying a jet isn't as great as you'd imagine. It's fun the first time, however after you are working and another all-nighter getting paid peanuts while your friends work monday to friday earning more than you, without having to land a jet with 170 pax at night with a gusty cross-wind into Africa, it starts to loose its appeal! Other such fun as being tested every 6 months, medical every year etc.

Remember it is just a job at the end of the day. Oh yes, and I still have a few loans to pay back. If I can land a job in the UK this autumn, I think I should be financially ok perhaps by age 30 if I live frugally. Alas, all my trainee pilot buddies say they wish they could be where I am now

If you really want to scratch the itch about flying something bigger I would suggest hiring a sim (if that is allowed these days?). I know too many people who have wasted so much money and time on training commercially to never get a job. I know you think that it will be the best thing ever to be a professional pilot (Well at least I did), but..... just think carefully before you invest lots of money and time. Your chances of success are slim. Even my out of work integrated chums will tell you that (I was modular).

Take it easy, Tom.