PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Officer "assertiveness" versus Captain's "authority"???
Old 20th Aug 2007, 08:19
Cypher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was actually out of our S.O.Ps..

Three strikes and the "Captain you must listen to me" is the catch phrase that when said, must be acknowledged by the captain.

Using the other guys name helps as people tend to react more favorably to their name rather than a tittle.

The first call was to tell the captain of a percieved problem and a bit of a hint to help get out of the situation.

The second is to let the other person know that the problem still exists and is getting worse. The phrase "I request a return to the SOPS" is meant to be a catchphrase warning to the captain that things are trending to getting worse.

The 3rd is meant to be emphasized. You don't have to shout.

Thats how our SOPs are.. not saying that they are the end all and be all.. but they seem to work well in anger.

I can see some captains probably resenting a call from a younger more inexperienced F/O, esp the bit about how to fix a potential problem. It's a suggestion.. not an order... and maybe if you think you are above and beyond all and you know it all.. maybe you shouldnt be flying in the first place and retire while your still ahead.