PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Instrument Rating training in the UK
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2007, 16:19
TKPAP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me please!

Having read your piece about doing an FAA IR in the UK i was wondering if you had any advice for me. I'm trying to do my FAA IR at the moment, i'm training on my own N reg aircraft but i think i'm being completely had by a particular flying school.
To begin with when I enquired about doing my FAA IR with this flying school - the owner told me hers was the Only place in the UK to do it. Also, that i should not go to america as had been planned but to pay significantly more but be assured a top rate FAA instrument instruction.
Being as i see now fairly monumentally stupid i just turned up when she told me and began.
I now find myself in a complete state as i have only had an FAA instructor for three days before he went on holiday and since then have been given two CAA IMC instructors at VAST expense each day. The first one was completely useless and since been fired from the flying school, the second is good but i'm sure because he's told me himself that the price i'm paying is vastly inflated.
But. I've already done 20hrs so am half way through.
And obviously i need to find an FAA CFI to check me out before the exam, how do i do that? You said there were lots in the Uk but how do you find one?
As what i want to do is go home (Cirencester - i am 300 miles away at the moment) and continue the rest of my training with a truly well qualified good IR instructor CAA or FAA - obviously FAA would be better.
Do you have any suggestions to help me find a good FAA instructor near home?
I really would hugely appreciate any help as not being part of the flying school/instructor network i don't have a clue where to look. More than anything i love flying and am desperate to continue but at the moment it's looking rather dismal.