PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question for London ATC
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2007, 10:45
ayrprox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Galaxy flyer,
May i suggest that next time you're over that you set aside time and try and visit TC while its still there to see the operation in action??,
As you rightly say headings, speeds etc do indeed need coordinating with the next sector, however, as gone fishing states it says in our mats pt 2 that we can get the pilot to report this information on first contact and that is the act of coordination, and that if we think you are on a heading but you dont report it we will ask you on first contact. I really dont understand your grievance with this. By you doing this we are able to cut down on the r/t loading, making us feel more comfortable and being able to handle the traffic, and therefore less delay to yourself. By you reporting it on first contact we can move on to the next aircraft and transfer you with no problem. If we have to do as you suggest and make a phone call for this situation you get this:
Planner phones for coordination but as his counterpart is fielding lots of other phone calls from other sectors about the same thing there is a delay in answering. Planner gets stressed coz he is not being answered, meanwhile you approach his sector boundary,but coordination hasnt been affected so what?? he turns you around?? Planner is now getting behind in his work as he waits on the phone, and gets more stressed!!. Eventually the phone is answered and coordination done but now he has to get on the phone again for another one!!! repeat ad nauseum..
or......
'
report heading to london on'.........
WHich do you think is better??? seriously!
Now this is in no way a slur on anybody who uses the handoff system, but until the technology in the uk is bought (remember we are privatised and for profit) tested and in place in the 2 centres ,we dont have the facility to transfer stuff electronically,(and wont have for at least 10 years the way i see it). so for the sake of controllers stress and sanity please, oh please just 'report your heading....'