PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Officer "assertiveness" versus Captain's "authority"???
Old 18th Aug 2007, 10:03
Bullethead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not relating to go-arounds specifically, but in any situation where my old mate in the RHS is feeling a little uncomfortable then I believe an experienced pilot will announce the fact fairly early in the proceedings whereas a pilot with less experience will probably be a bit more reticent and if he does feel the need to speak up it’s probably for a very good reason. Maybe even a little late in the scheme of things and therefore to be acted on promptly.
On the other hand, before I started my command training I’d been a Captain in a previous life and I was sometimes happy to let a situation develop to see what was about to ensue, even if things weren’t quite SOP, though when I felt the need I had no hesitation in speaking up. I never had to call a go around on a Captain but I did have to fairly forcefully upwardly manage, as it’s called, at times.
I would never debate a go around call from any first officer, there’s always fuel for one and we can discuss it later when the dust has settled.
Only very rarely have I objected to monitoring calls by a first officer, one called me one knot slow on Vref, but I wouldn’t debate it there and then I just fixed the perceived problem and had a chat about it later.
Regards,
BH.