PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question to JetStar pilots
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2007, 12:53
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Unfortunately Goeing Boeing and Keg are perpetuating the myth put out by AIPA that J* Command training is 4 sims and 6 sectors.
Easy tiger. Read my questions again and the statement of the person before me. It was flyingins who made the reference to 16 sim hours. That's four sims is it not?

I wanted to know what the number of sectors of line training is. It's apparently not six so educate us. What is the sector requirement in the J* check and training manual. Lets compare them apples- out of interest sake, nothing less. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that yours is an error rather than a deliberate attempt to show (again) that the big mean nasty QF drivers are ganging up on you with false stories. I also note that neither yours nor JJW's post actually answers the question.

JJW, probably the best post I've read from you. I think that what GB was getting at was that after a few years in QF, the difference in ability to operate the aircraft to QF's expectations are negligble. I meet the company standard but I still know there are guys around who can fly circles around me every day of the week. Many of them are S/Os. I'll name names if you like because I don't really hold 'pride' in that way. I will note though that occasionally they indicate that I have something to offer them considering I've spent the last ten years in the F/O seat of QF aeroplanes. I'll also note that there are also times when they feel there is nothing I can offer them. I give them a wry smile anyway!

One seperate thing though. I have a rabid dislike of 'outsourcing' training to the candidate and permFO's comments about the standard differing markedly between Alteon and AirNZ is a case in point. Initial endorsement should be treated seriously, not considered a stamp in the log book that means anything between two very wide boundaries. J* management obviously doesn't take it seriously because they appear to not give two hoots where the endorsement comes from. It is this minimalist attitude that frustrates QF drivers. Our training isn't perfect (and having been involved in the CRM program for a few years it's all too obvious) but the QF I first joined was never a believer in minimalist training. Whether or not that training was first class, better than elsewhere, delivered a better product, etc, was never the issue in this discussion. It's always been about management attitude to training and skills and what this means for both the individual pilots, the respective group 'silos' and the piloting profession in general.

The issue is not J* pilots, the issue is the management attitude. We are not the enemy here.....and nor do we consider J* pilots to be the enemy- even if sometimes we don't word things as nicely as we should. max's second post was far better than his first one!