PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question to JetStar pilots
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2007, 12:31
VH-JJW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'I've found that when groups of pilots join an airline that there may be a wide variation in experience and skill level but after a few years of line experience the differences become negligible.'

GB - This is highly dependant on timframes. If for example you take the experiece of some of the ex Alirone or RAAF pilots in Qantas then I highly doubt that the differences are 'neglible' after 'a few years', especially when compared to a GA or cadet pilot.

You will, however, find that on average most of these pilots have become 'assimilated' and simply behave as they are treated, mushrooms.

A good mate of mine is a highly respected former military pilot whose services are greatly sought after in the civilian world ( deliberately vague as his specific quals WILL identify him). However, when he is at 'work' as a QF pilot he is at times literally treated as an idiot.

I truly doubt that after a few years the difference between *&%$# and most other QF pilots would be negligible.

What I do not doubt however is that some (most?) QF pilots would not bother finding out the qualifications and experience levels within their crew, but instead would make a highly prejudiced and myopic judgement based solely on rank.

I do not like reading the crap posted here about BKK. It was a mistake in an otherwise good history. I do however see that CRM and crew co-ordination played a filtering role in this unfortunate accident. It is suprising therefore to hear that many of the CRM issues still remain.