PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question to JetStar pilots
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2007, 12:29
permFO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max your post is spot on in that the pilot is the last line of defense and it is recognised (even within J*)that the training received by some from Alteon has been poor. However the training received by those who went to AirNZ has been second to none and their product has been up to a standard that you would expect from a legacy carrier. There are highly experienced pilots within J* who are on the ball and putting systems in place that will counter the deficiencies of the external training providers.

Unfortunately Goeing Boeing and Keg are perpetuating the myth put out by AIPA that J* Command training is 4 sims and 6 sectors. If you truly believe that then it is not surprising that mainline pilots think they have the superior aviating skills. If you stop and think about it though, doesn't it seem ridiculous that any airline in Australia would put people in the LHS with 15hours total in that seat!

Why do you think that the professionalism and standards of the J* training department is inferior to mainline? Most of the managers within J* are ex-Ansett and some of them even trained mainline pilots in QF sims as contractors so I really don't think there can be any argument about the standards applied or expected.

I witnessed some very ordinary performances by mainline Captains and I have also witnessed some very professional performances in J* and vice versa. When J* pilots are no longer viewed as the "enemy" then I think you will find that all pilots of the Qantas Group can present a cohesive message to those that hold the purse strings.