PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question to JetStar pilots
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2007, 07:48
Going Boeing

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Kav, I suggest that you re-read Max's post. A lot of what he says makes sense.

I've found that when groups of pilots join an airline that there may be a wide variation in experience and skill level but after a few years of line experience the differences become negligible. Line experience can make up for shortfalls in a training system as long as aircraft are operated in a conservative manner during the period that pilots are adjusting to their new environment. My understanding of the JQ system is that a lot more of the training responsibility is thrust on the shoulders of line captains because the length of training is minimal.

Wrt JQ command training, I have doubts that 4 sim sessions and 6 domestic sectors is sufficient to expose any shortcomings. The QF command training has sufficient sectors that by the law of averages every command trainee is exposed to events or scenarios which tests his/her decision making and lateral thinking - the C & T pilots don't have to create scenarios, the real world always provides them. I would think that it is possible for a JQ trainee to complete the required sectors without being exposed to any difficult scenario. Input from JQ trainers would be appreciated.