PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question to JetStar pilots
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2007, 22:49
max autobrakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once again we spiral into the pagan tribalism of pilot groups attacking each other.
Bula and others I will ask , were you happy with your training in JetStar?
You might very well be ex-Rex, or ex somewhere else and came with a very solid grounding.Are all pilots coming from the same starting point as you? Can management guarantee that the lowest common denominator is covered?
Yes to other posters Qantas is not the be all to end all! In fact until recently I thought training in Qantas stank.
They didn't really train ,they checked.
Shorhaul Qantas I'm told had much better training. Why ,because it was ex TAA ,like Ansett they had a corporate culture that evolved to bring young pilots out of GA into the right hand seat to be an F/O.They had to train to achieve a satisfactory result.
Whereas the corporate culture that existed in Qantas was that these same young pilots that came out of GA or the airforce etc started as S/O's and learnt most of their craft through osmosis, the training section never really had to do much training because of the time frames involved in getting to F/O ,the motivation of the individuals and the experience levels these S/O's were exposed to, or came into the company with ,resulted in the training section evolving into the way we knew it.

Threat Error management appears to be the latest buzz concept.
Have a look at the way our industry is going and the ever increasing threats that are facing professional pilots today.
Casualisation of just about every facet and section of airlines.
Training given that satisfies regulations but no more because that costs money.I'm not just talking about pilots, every section of every airline. Instead of people doing their jobs and having done so for many years you are getting continual turn over of people now.
Staff who now worry about paying bills, staff who worry about how I'm supposed to do this ,no staff ,no time, manpower shortages.
No spare parts in inventory, that costs money.
Dispatching aircraft with multiple complex MEL's.
No time to study the effects or operational and or performance implications of these MEL's because aircraft are scheduled with tight turn around times for efficient use of airframes.
Threats everywhere and growing.

Guess what ,pilots are the last line of defence, and what do you think will happen if an accident occurs?
As usual it will be the pilots who they will try to blame.

That fellow aviators is why pilots in this country need to start working together, asking difficult questions when they see less than optimal company practices that put profits and bonus' before best practise.Training is just one of those defences to help a pilot break the chain of events that lead to an accident.

As has been said before and dare I say it again, if you think safety and training are expensive try having an accident!