PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shackleton/Nimrod Stage 2 & ACT
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2007, 15:02
Rossian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stage 2

This trainer required comms between the crew flying out in the firth and the trainer team in that building on the right hand side of the road going down to the airfield (grew good tomatoes in the west facing windows). The crew reported the position of the sonobuoys they dropped in a grid that was replicated on the "table" in the ground station. The "Target" was an electromechanical pointer that crawled across the table on the X/Y coordinates of the grid. The "sonobuoys" were similar electromechanical "pots" that were locked in place above the table IAW the reported grid posns from the a/c. They were tied (literally) to the target as it moved around by wires that reeled out from the bottom of the "pots". Still with me?
As the target moved, the wires tying it to the pots replicated the "range" and the "bearing" which were transmitted to the Mk1C receivers in the a/c and triggered both the "echo" from the acoustic "ping" from the active and the "hydrophone effect" detected on the passive buoys. This required a whole bunch of VHF transmitters working continuously for all the buoys that were "dropped". It also needed a well worked up tream in the trainer for it to work well. As already mentioned it was designed by heath robinson and supplied us with the best simulation that was available before computers were invented.
It's amazing what comes into ones mind when is bored on a wet afternoon when one can't get on with jobs in the garden.
There will NOT be any questions at the end.
The Ancient Mariner
PS As sure as S£$%T there will be someone along dreckly telling me where I got it wrong.