PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - English Proficiency Test
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2007, 14:10
Contract Dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got this email today, wonder how much it would have cost if it was not law? How the hell are you going to pass a flight test if you cant speak the damn language??? R650 for talking **** for 1/2 an hr? Immagine being paid R1300 per hr you fly, thats R130 000 Rand a month if you flew 100 hrs! time to ponder this over a cold beer.

Dog

Hi Guys

We have had so many enquiries from pilots with regard to the above test, that I thought I would email you all!

The EP test is compulsory for all pilots and is an ICAO requirement. You can obtain a temprorary exemption if you have a matric certificate in English as the home language.....which has to be presented to the CAA; however it is temporary and sooner or later the test has to be undertaken. The deadline for all tests is March 2008.

The test is oral, is recorded and saved for five years. It is a test in the form of a conversation involving normal everyday questions and chat, plus aviation english questions...such as answering ATC in a particular scenario. A Linguist and an aviation expert run the conversation and it takes about 30 minutes - 45 minutes depending on the level of the participant. I have attached the flyer explaining the rating levels. I trust this answers all questions.... we are running tests on two afternoons a week at the moment but are happy to raise that if there is a requirement.

Cost for the test is R650 ex VAT, and you need a passport photo for the certificate, which is taken to our CAA..

Kind regards,