PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 7
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 7
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2007, 13:41
transwede

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HH6702, I very much doubt we will see Cronus or similar european airlines back at NCL operating charter services, the big 4 (soon to be the big 2!) are bringing much of their flying inhouse to their respective airlines, the smaller tour operators appear to be loosing out, as they cannot justify a full charter for such a small allocation. It appears that the consolidation in the industry will not be very good for the frequency of charter destinations from NCL, nor the variety. Frequency has been reduced, following XL's reduction in capacity with some routes (KGS, JTR, CHQ being lost and others like PFO, RHO, SSH, PMI, TFS etc reducing in frequency).

XL Airways

There are numerous reports circulating regarding XL's NCL operation next summer, all of which point towards them not re-opening their base at NCL. Indeed all of their groups flying, which is currently on sale is operated by Air Malta, using what appears to be a based aircraft, flying atleast 2 rotations per day. To me, that seems more cost effective than the groups current operation with 3 based aircraft flying one rotation per day and sitting on the apron the rest of the time. However, does this not have something to do with agreement with Finnair, where the use the aircraft on an hourly rate?

I hope, for the sake of the crews based at NCL, that all flights are not yet published and XL will have a presence as the closure of 2 charter bases within a few weeks of each other is a pity!

Heathrow

People are quite right, this one has been doing the rumour round for years, though with BA's lack of interest in regional work it could turn out to be true and the only possible carrier who would pick it up would be BMI, which would probably (and this is based entirely on guess work) mean the end of MME-LHR?

Could never see LS or the likes operating into LHR, for a start 25 minutes would never be achievable!