PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question to JetStar pilots
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2007, 12:46
permFO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The inference made is that QF provide more training than J* so they must be better pilots. Max queried the number of sim sessions that QF pilots do compared to J* but as someone else pointed out the time spent in the sim is exactly the same (16 hours per year). Ansett were doing their sim sessions in 6 monthly intervals as well so why QF do it the "old" way I don't know. It could be just as simple as "we have always done it this way".

The idea that as a Qantas pilot you are better than the rest is stated on day one of the induction when it is put that you must be better than everybody else if you have been selected. I think the expression used was "creme de la creme". It is further reinforced when you finish your probation and the letter includes the statement "not everyone has been able to do what you have done".

I agree that those who work for Qantas are part of a proud heritage and not all take that to mean that they have greatness bestowed upon them, but there are a significant number who think that flying for Mainline is a testament to their superior aviating abilities.

As for BKK, a significant factor that was overlooked even by the ATSB report was that, if the PF had pressed the TOGA buttons then the PIC would probably not have been able to abort the go-around in the manner in which he did.