PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Climate Camp at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2007, 09:54
AlexL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i suspect they will all go home one way or another on monday ,as they are illegally occupying private land.
The plan for the week (allegedly) is for a week of waffle followed by direct action on sunday, so I would plan for delays on sunday.
Re the police response - seems a little OTT, but in the current security climate I think its reasonable, would be very easy for one of our home-grown terrorists to use the camp as cover, then the police would be villified for not responding to such an obvious eventuality. Also the previous climate camps have a history of significant illigality and disruptive behaviour, so given that I also think the response is merited.
Its worth also remembering that the police may be saving some of these guys from themselves. If they do breach the airport then they are likely to get shot in the current climate - far better to nip that in the bud and police the camp, rather than react to events.
Loose-loose for the boys in blue on this one really on the PR front.
Anyway my reading of the situation is that this week will be fairly placid with little or no disruption, as the camp has the real demonstrators and lobbyists in it. Sat and sun is when 'rent-a-mob' are likely to disrupt things.
On a personal note, when I am going on hols with my family, i always get an airport hotel the night before, events like this, and like the dalays caused at LGW by the M25 closure last week can be avoided by doing this.
Obviously when I'm going to the airport to work, I just have to take my chances!