PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question to JetStar pilots
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2007, 23:40
International Trader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max Auto Brakes

Quote:
"-The flight crew didn't use an adequate risk management stategy for the approach and landing, the error was primarily due to the absence of appropriate company procedures and training.
-Company-published information, Deficient.
-Procedures and training of crew ,Deficient in numberous areas.
-processes to manage development,introduction and evaluation of changes to operations, Deficient.
-Management culture over-reliant on personal experience and did not place adequate emphisis on structured processes"

Correct me if I am wrong but, apart from these nebulous "deficiencies" that are created by beaurocratic agencies in order to dance around cold hard facts and not directly blame anyone, is it not true that:

-The Pilot Flying was hand flying an approach when "experience" would have dictated the use of automation in poor weather.I heard that the man was demonstrating his abilities for someone in the cockpit ( after 911 though,I wonder if observers were allowed in).
- The Flying pilot (rightly) went around when he became unstuck.
- The "Commander" took over control and attempted another landing after the go-around was commenced.
- They landed half way down the runway.
- They only used idle reverse thrust
- Were the auto brakes used?

Seems like a few "deficiences" in judgement,airmanship and safety if you ask me. Relying on "experience and not on structured processes"? One would think that a "world's best practice" company would have a highly refined management process to induct inexperienced crew and give them "structures" to use until they gained the "experience" to use the company "processes" to achieve safety as well as performance.
What "standard" was that you were talking about?No use talking about more or less Sim sessions and the cost of it.That won't solve this problem.

It goes to prove that anyone can F-up but the problem with the "Gods" is that they actually believe that they are better than everyone else because of this wonderfull system with a "long history and proud culture " that has produced them.
If it is the case, that this system has created this belief of being better than all others, then, that in its self is a "deficiency" in safety.Even if I am completely wrong and you just go on the ATSB report items that you included (my info may be wrong and I am often wrong) , it would be a wonderful CRM lesson for the company.I ask you, is it being used as an example in QF training?
I'll bet it isn't. I'll bet it has been buried,hasn't it?

In light of this and the recent maintenance issues surfacing ( several instances of bits of 767 falling off in flight and the latest events), one wonders what skeletons are in the cupboard.

Seems to me the "proud culture" has a touch of mold on it.

Blue Loo;

"Fantastic record"......mmmm ,well that's the public record.I wonder what the truth is. Wake up and smell the roses...ahh, I mean...the "proud culture "
( peeeeuuuu)

I prefer to believe that on a good day, I am average at best and luckily by the grace of god.......