PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASL NZ Poor Standard of testing officer?
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2007, 08:13
Cypher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Top of Descent is quite correct..
once you move into heavier aircraft, your career goes on the line every 6 months, get used to being tested... The big advantage though is that you are tested against a specific ops manual and procedure. Most things are black and white as set by the ops manual and S.O.Ps..
I too have flown with several of the intials named in this thread, not HB, but G.L, P.C.S, 'No-Pass Parker' and D.W.
Each examiner will always have a 'area of speciality' that they focus on. It will be an area in which they consider lacking or maybe not covered that well in the field of candidates that they have tested in the past.
They hammer this subject on many flight tests. D.W from memory likes to test low flying, P.C.S was reknowned for his knowledge of all things Kemode..
G.L well, I can't remember what it was but he is a great guy to fly with.
Scroogee is quite right... a flight test requirement is not to know about the examiner's hobbies etc..but do you just do the bare requirement and hope to get by? Its not a requirement to know Qantas' complete history when you go for a interview, but you'll look like a complete tool when you front up to the interview without even a basic understand of the company you want a job with. A little knowledge and forewarning doesn't go astray... how many people remember being told about P.C.S and sailing or his time in P.N.G.
It's more of a way to being able to relate to the examiner and put yourself at ease rather than trying to brown-nose your way to a pass....
If you've failed a flight test, a clear indication of where you failed should be given. It is up to you to fix any deficiencies in that area, as well as maybe covering other areas which you may feel need work. Use your flight instructor.
Flight examiners have a habit of finding a weakness, then exploiting it to the N-degree....