PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COS 08 - This is not about pay
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2007, 04:57
Giggleswick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apple Tree Yard

The AOA membership only have two trump cards left in their hand; namely the FACA and the existing DEFO clause in our COS.

If we trade both of these for the 'instant gratification' of a 10% pay rise then it will be the last time the company EVER sits across from the AOA again to 'negotiate' pay. The reason we haven't had a pay rise since 2001 is that the company hasn't NEEDED to get any more concessions from us. Now it does.

The company cannot man the combined freighter/pax expansion without us firstly agreeing to integrate ASL, thereby voiding the FACA, and secondly agreeing to the new UFO scale. Currently the DEFOs on the AUS base are being paid pax salaries as per our existing contractual COS. With the imminent hiring of DEFOs on the NAM bases the company faces a major recruitment problem. Namely, how do you hire onto the 744F on reduced pay and conditions whilst simultaneously hiring onto the 777 on superior pay and conditions! I would argue that it will be next to impossible because it will be seen as inequitous by many pilots more accustomed to 'speed/wt' compensation.

This concession is a major NEED for the company. Without this they will be forced to raise the Freighter DEFO salary to match that on the 777; market forces in our favour for once! Now, this will REALLY upset the applecart as there must be a consequent upwards adjustment of the whole Freighter scale to match. Starting to get expensive eh!

As to RA65, well our COS only extend to age 55 after which the company is free to cut any deal it wishes with extendees I believe. However, consider this. Who is going to replace the current extendees on the Freighter when they return to the pax fleet on A-scales? Mainline guys of course but will they have enough 'volunteers' or are they more likely relying upon the demise of the FACA? Everything in this deal is interconnected.

In closing, I urge you not to encourage your fellow pilots to 'take what's on offer now and hope for more later'. There will be NO later. If we trade our last two remaining trump cards for the instant gratification of a 10% pay rise then I'll wager that neither you nor I will EVER witness the AOA and company around the 'negotiating' table again. After all, what will we have left to give but our kidneys and I wouldn't put it past SWIRE to have a NEED for them to!

Remember, there is NO later!