PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Licence Conversion to JAA
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2007, 16:54
7E7Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, just finished my conversion from FAA. Stand to be corrected, but here's my 2 eurocents' worth (and I strongly suggest you check that with your relevant CAA):
1) Correct. A pain though and does take some time. Read the books through just once and then put all your effort in practicing question banks again and again.
2.1 Yes
2.2 No, time while you were the safety pilot doesn't count a penny in JAA-land.
2.3 No. Under JAA it is either dual (with instructor) OR PIC. The only exception is SPIC (student pilot in command), where the student acts as PIC under the supervision of an instructor. This only applies to JAA integrated courses though, so not possible having done FAA training, whether the school was 141 or not. Note though, that any PIC time logged for checkrides (with a pass) does count as PIC under the JAA rules as well.
2.4 Yes and it is probably ok experience for most airlines, BUT (AND A BIG BIG CAUTION HERE): It does NOT count when you apply for a JAA licence! Reason being that the CAA views any time under the hood as P/UT (pilot under training) therefore can't be PIC, but it was neither with an official instructor. So this time simply doesn't exist for the CAA. Very dangerous if you applying for your JAA License with just a little over 200 FAA hours, as you might simply not meet the requirements (incl Cross Country PIC etc). This nearly caught me out, but luckily I had enough 'proper' hours having instructed in the U.S. for a while.
2.5 Yes. You are PIC any time you're bearing the full responsibility for the flight (exception as detailed in 2.4). In the FAA world a new PPL wouldn't log SPIC. If at a later stage (CPL training etc) he logs PIC and Dual Received at the same time, the instructor still remains in command.
2.6 Yes, see 2.5. And if you're flying in actual IMC, you can also log the approach and FAA instrument time (not if you're in VMC). If you're flying under an IFR plan, you can log all time as IFR PIC even for the JAA.
2.7 Definitely check that one with the CAA, but I think only if that plane was requiring a second pilot under the FAA rules as well (not the case for even some Citations!). In any case, you would probably need to hold a relevant type rating to claim hours for the JAA. In the FAA world a type rating is not required in any airplane while acting as SIC in U.S. domestic airspace.
Hope this helps and good luck
7E7