PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Information
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2007, 10:07
Mad_Mark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question. Why was AAR withdrawn
Answer . It is not deemed to be safe
Sorry TD, but again you are too close to this and are reading things into the information you are given

My take on this is that AAR was withdrawn as a standard day to day practice as that was the activity that the crew had been doing just prior to the tragic accident. At that time all they knew was that until the BOI returned even an intermediate report (and maybe not even then) then no-one knew whether or not the AAR was linked in any way to the event or not. Other possibly linked actions were also stopped after the loss. AAR was not deemed to be unsafe simply deemed to be POSSIBLY linked, and hence stopped as a standard practice - just in case.

Why could AAR be carried out with certain authority? Because the guys have a real job to do and what they do directly effects the lives of guys on the ground! There are some cases where an aircraft is needed to stay on task longer than a non-AAR sortie will permit. Unfortunately with all the cuts in airframes, manpower (aircrew and ground-crew) and money for spares the fleet is simply unable to send aircraft after aircraft up, thus avoiding AAR. When one crew can be relieved by another then that happens, but it is not always possible.

Certain jobs will see the need to have someone on high take the serious decision as to whether AAR was linked to the accident or not and whether the need is greater than the possible risk. I am certain that decision is not taken lightly and have seen the request for AAR authorisation refused on several occasions. Imagine how the guy would feel if he decides that the task needs outweigh the individual needs, sends a crew flying on an AAR mission and a tragic event occurs due to them carrying out AAR!

Until there is a definite proven link between AAR and the loss of CXX/3 then it is a sad fact that sometimes risks have to be taken. The whole business of military aviating, especially during times of conflict, is risky and the crews are fully aware of that.

Several times I have seen your posts twist the information you have received because you are either too close to the whole thing, don't fully understand the information/terminology you read or both. I lost several good friends on CXX/3 but can't begin to imagine how you and other families must be feeling - but please try and look at the information you receive with an open mind and keep a balanced view.

MadMark!!!