PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The end of ADF at last?
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2007, 22:24
Droopystop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bose,

I do hold an IR and do use it. I have been compelled to use NDBs alot, due to the type of flying that I do. Enroute, we rely on a (non moving map) GPS. It's ok. But its a long way outwith the standard scan, so we don't even look at it for approaches. NDBs allow us a level of capability that would not be improved upon if we were to use GPS for approaches. Yes a fancy moving map properly integrated into the instrument fit would make life easier but it would also mean that my IF and spatial awareness skills will degrade through lack of use.

It's horses for courses. Aviation is wonderfully diverse - we all fly different machines in different roles for different rewards. To generalise is inappropriate.

Progress will ultimately turn an airline pilot into a customer service role. The pilotless airliner is almost here. Private flying offers the opportunity to preserve proper flying skills - look how many airline pilots swap their nice big air con quiet cockpits for a smelly old string bag or cramped glider? Please don't demean others by assuming we all want progress in private flying.