PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C.O.S 08 - You're kidding me
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2007, 12:59
CYRILJGROOVE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oriental Flyer, well said

I certainly agree with your sentiments regarding those who illogically attack A scalers. The real enemy here is the management who created B C D and F scales, ASL, Cathay Freighters and the associated lower scales with opportunities for junior crew to take commands on Freighters way out of seniority provided the crew do it on the cheap.

The GC have yet to let us know their thoughts on the proposal yet these volunteers still have ill informed accusations by members (and cheap non members) who cannot seek out the facts. Case in point, some drongo accusing them of lying about the percentages, NC and the team just do not play that game, albeit that any percentages quoted are “Perfect World” scenarios due to the tiered HDP element of the proposal and unachievable in the real world.

It is a fact that in many jurisdictions we operate in age discrimination legislation prevents 1. Age to determine when to retire and 2. Offering reduced salary/conditions based on age. Age retirement is basically controlled by licensing authorities and not contractually enforceable if legally challenged, and it will be implemented regardless of this vote.

Cathay know this and have capitulated to the inevitable reluctantly, despite some crew accepting B scale or Freighter pay post 55 making this a long drawn out episode. It would be unworkable to have A scale post 55 on bases with the legislation, and B scale in HKG where the majority of the C&T system resides with legislation on the horizon. It will tick me off just as much as it does the FO’s to see those retreads get back onto A scale but in the overall scheme of things we must not be consumed by these back door winners, particularity the so called quitters and re joiners.

If you peel away all the dressing (does not take long!) on this proposal the A scalers gain maybe 1% at the cost of losing some Green Page benefits post 55, probably losing more than is gained ultimately. B scalers get various small increases well below expectations especially considering strong profits. Up to a theoretical 14.8% for HKG B scale Captains. Incidentally why accept the loss of travel fund and being forced to the new travel scheme when legislation probably prevents that as well?

So what is wrong with the proposal, many have pointed out we have over the years given productivity with nothing in return, just delaying tactic empty promises. Cost of living and exchange rate factors have reduced disposable income and the Non Captains are going to have to spend longer in the RHS for zero compensation if accepting COS 08. The scales peak out at 17years a point that many Capts are already at. Those scales were constructed based on age 55 retirement. The same is true for FO scales, more increments are needed along with some bigger numbers on the BASIC SALARY.

I would gladly forfeit the 1% if all Captains are paid the 14 year old A scales and if the company wants to cancel the freighter agreement I would be happy with that if they jettison the freighter pay and the freighter commands were allocated using true seniority. Management created the Freighter fiasco; they have to unravel the mess. The DEFO proposal still comes up short in the overall dollar earnings scenario.

On balance a NO vote probable from Cyril