PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C.O.S 08 - You're kidding me
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2007, 11:26
BScaler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CoS 08

oriental flyer

I wrote in my submission:

some A-Scale colleagues are currently accepting less than B-Scale conditions to extend their employment. 'Market Forces' would suggest that the proposal under CoS 08 for full A-Scale remuneration and expat terms for continuation of employment of these officers to age 65, is generous, particularly seeing as the A-Scale Provident Fund was designed to provide for a comfortable retirement at age 55;
bearing this in mind, I cannot see any justification for an increase in A-Scale remuneration at this time, until B-Scale reaches A-Scale salary scales. Note that I do not advocate a reduction in A-Scale pay, just a hold until B reaches A. It has been 14 years since the introduction of B-Scales and the 'advance A-Scales at all costs and eventually bring B up to A...' argument has run it's course and been found wanting. I believe, therefore, that the amount allocated to increasing A-Scale remuneration in this agreement should be applied to B-Scales first, in an effort to bring aircrew pay scales into line with each other, and then have the scales progress upwards together in unity. Any fair-minded A-Scale officer could not have any serious issue with this proposal, especially as A-Scale officers stand to gain 10 bonus years of employment;
I don't think this is an unfair assessment, oriental flyer. In fact, I would put money on the fact that some A-Scalers in the GC would altruisically promote this school of thought in negotiations on behalf of all B-Scalers.

Should CoS 08 be presented to the membership and voted down, then perhaps this position could be put to the Company a little more forcefully.

oriental flyer, you stand to gain 10 years of bonus A-Scale employment if CoS 08 is passed - would you not be prepared to forgo 2% HDP to help out your junior colleagues?

BScaler