PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C.O.S 08 - You're kidding me
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2007, 10:05
Numero Crunchero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B scaler

Mate, I like your posts- well reasoned and set out.

I can assure you all that this has been an incredibly divisive issue amongst the GC. The GC is between a rock and a hard place. If we reject it, you don't even get the chance to vote. If we recommend it we look like rubber stamps for management. Trust me when I say, recommended or not, this package has been argued to death amongst the GC.

I can understand the natural suspicion that this was an A scaler driven package. It was not - we never steered it in that direction. In fact we even suggested doing what B scaler suggests - A scales stay frozen until B catches up.

My main issue with the deal is not the RA65 - I think that was inevitable. WHat I object to is bypass pay being earned contingent on where you choose to live. Bypass pay will not recover the earnings lost by later upgrades but it does ameliorate the losses substantially.

No I don't know how bypass pay will be dished out. I know in the past bypass pay has been paid to someone...how that was determined has shifted over time. I think with up to several hundred people receiving it within 3-5years the company will have to be a lot more transparent about how and to whom it pays. According the CoS you only don't receive it if you are Cat D(?). Maybe some recent receivers or non- receivers of bypass pay can enlighten us.

I know it is an A scaler GC - 50%. But think about it. What do I personally have to gain from this deal. I have over a decade to worry about RA55 ( I am younger than I look;-). I can assure you that all the GC I know have good intentions. You may disagree with the GC as a whole or individuals..thats fine...thats called democracy. But I can assure you that as far as I am concerned each and every GC member is acting in the best interests of our members. It just so happens that within the GC we disagree with what is in the best interests of the membership.

In my view the negotiated position was a long way from what we asked for. Its very easy to find a scape goat. Just remember that in 1999 and 2001 deals were imposed in spite of negotiation.

In summary.
You are not voting for RA65 and DEFOs - they will happen regardless of what you vote. A scales, on the bases at least, are likely to remain A scalers due to anti discrimination legislation.

You are voting on whether you are happy that the payrise(if you get one) is fair and if you want the FACA gone.

jobe - was I the only one not flying freighters? I thought there were more of us! I don't want 'interesting' flying anymore - had 20+ years of it already!