PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C.O.S 08 - You're kidding me
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2007, 09:32
BScaler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CoS 08

Hi BusyB,

As I said, my comments and points are based on the little that has been commented on in the latest negotiations update, and not the full agreement which has not yet been released. There are bound to be a few 'inaccuracies' and feel free to comment on them.

As far as the GC is concerned, I would like to see leadership from the GC one way or another. This is why.
  • Scenario #1. If the GC endorses CoS 08 and the membership votes the agreement in, this represents confidence by the membership in the judgement of the GC. This is a good thing and is the way things are supposed to happen.
  • Scenario #2. If the GC endorses CoS 08 and the membership votes it down, (as it did comprehensively on the last DEFO agreement), it represents a lack of confidence by the membership in the judgement of the GC. This is not a good thing, as it demonstrates a disparity between the GC and the community it supposedly represents.
  • Scenario #3. If the GC does not endorse CoS 08 but puts it to the membership for a vote anyway and the agreement is subsequently voted down, this acts as support to the GC in future negotiations, and will hopefully result in an improved agreement, (witness the DEFO portion of CoS 08, which, though still not acceptable in my view, is still an improvement on the original proposal). This is also the way things are supposed to happen if the final negotiated position is, in the judgement of the GC, unpalatable to the majority of the membership.
Also, in any event, should the GC decide to put CoS 08 to the membership for a vote, I would like to see all GC members free to comment publicly on the good and the bad aspects of the agreement, and not have their hands tied so as to be only given the option of supporting an agreement they may otherwise oppose, or vice versa.

BScaler