PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Technical Question for CX crew
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2007, 02:02
Mr. Bloggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CX Flight operations management is so arrogant. They still have stuff left over from the Catalina days.

We are still allowed to circle in FUK which only gives you 2.3 miles protection. It is quite hard to maneuver a wide body aircraft within that area, but I guess Cathay Pacific invented aviation.

China Airlines (B767) was circling in Busan. Chinese Minimums have a 5.02 nm radius for protection. Korea minimums were at that time 2.3 nm radius. I can only assume that the Captain thought he was protected to 5.02 nm. Well, he hit the back side of the hill on final about 5 nm on the extended center line to runway 18. It’s over.

We don’t circle that often and it is an unusual maneuver and we don’t practice cranking and banking a wide body aircraft, nor should we. It just too big to be messing around within 2.3nm of the airport with unfavorable wind close to the ground and terrain all around. Most airlines don’t allow it, but I guess CX pilots are the best pilots in the world, see their latest conditions.

I have only heard of one “Caution Terrain” in FUK where the winds were at his back on base and overshot the center line a bit. Remarks were “continue”. Well……………..I try to use my judgment not to let things happen where I can get into trouble. It’s not worth it.

My advise, be careful in Busan and know where that hill is at. If you are circling in winter at night in a snowstorm, get out of there, all the links are coming together for an accident.

Not worth saying “If I only had that moment back”. Don’t let it happen.

Or maybe I am just a ****e pilot? You decide.

Good luck with it.