PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So where are all the jobs then?
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2007, 01:45
Dreamshiner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its a doozie

Just my two cents worth for what its worth, probably will stir the pot up a bit, however why we embrace living in a democracy, free speech and all that jazz.

We do an aspirational job, we gain social kudos (one person reading this deny someone hasn't raised an eyebrow when you reply to the 'so what do you do?' question, pays well (eventually) and a host of other little ticks in the Pro's column. As a result a little bit of dreamy romanticism is attached to it.

Gone are the days where the great unwashed are selected by airlines, given a nice shiny little uniform and guaranteed a job after completing their in-house training scheme. For the reasons above, so many wish to follow in the footsteps of the Wright Bros. Now we plebs are expected to fund our own training up front, twas the days when a mere CPL/IR were enough, now an MCC is a definite and self sponsoring a type rating should at least be pondered (a debate for another thread me thinks).

As a result we need to be pragmatic, focused and driven more so than if everything was laid on a plate.

Certain things in aviation that piss me off that I've encountered:

The amount of people in the UK who turn up their nose with hearty disdain for those who did their initial training in the US. My response to that, its aviation, not an exclusive golf club, a 152 stalls at exactly at the same IAS over Florida as it does over somewhere ending in 'shire'. Wind your neck in!

Those who moan about their circumstances, yes we are all subject to bad luck, however the human brain tends to remember (especially if there is an apparent pattern) the hiccups over the successes. in the past 10 years especially with the advent of widespread use of the web there is no excuse for doing your homework as there is a host of sources of info. I got into this and to be honest its not presently ideal, however I knew this may be the case on day 1, so I ultimately am optimistic or I'd go mental.

I'm dismayed at how too many people further up the food chain pontificate, maybe because a lot of those in the position to be doing so on this site qualified around the worst time for aviation in modern times and had it considerably harder, guess what, its not so rough now, so don't hit us with 'you haven't lived', similar to pensioners who did national service and tell you how easy we young 'uns have it now.

I know of a former CTC cadet slagging off those who did self sponsored type ratings as abhorrent. The only difference being he was promised his job on day one providing no hiccups and did all his training with one provider. Tiresome to say the least and 'do as I say, not as I do'.

If you haven't served a spell at a FI you a) know nothing, b) you are a shortcut meister unwilling to serve an apprenticeship you filthy schwein. Different horses for different courses, Jesus wept. Some people are predisposed for flying a big jet, some don't, some get there because its expected, to wince at the thought of a 250 pilot getting the nod screams of sour grapes.

6k outlay to get 10k back, UK weather, 152 in a circuit its all about reaching antiquated thresholds that says nothing about your professionalism or aptitude or personality to work in an intense 2 person environment. It negates that some personalities make great instructors and some woeful. Personally, no thanks, I'd rather put my cash towards a TR. Does that make me evil, inherently lazy, conniving? To some members of PPRuNe, yes, worse than a 40 virgin seeking jihadi. That position taken by some maybe needs a pitch of salt and a big hug.

If you don't get all starry eyed talking about aviation and why you got into it you shouldn't be anywhere near a plane. Some people do it because when you do have your foot in the door it offers a decent living that suits them and their circumstances well. Some pilots are grafters, not naturally gifted, I even know some who still get air sick but do it because it beats an office full of menopausal women and politics bull****.

Pilots sharpening the knife for other pilots, perhaps the anonymity of the Internet (exceptions of the moderators who know exactly who everyone is). However, we are the worlds worst back seat drivers, critics and ****ting on those below us. I've done it, however recognised it early and made a conscious effort to change. How many of us will admit to being a passenger looking tentatively at a mate on short finals as the stall warning poops for the fist time, fear willing them to mention to inch the nose forward, squeeze in a little throttle to ease the decent, wishing they set the mixture to full rich and turned the landing lights on. Who hasn't moved a hand up to within a half inch of the column?

To be honest, its all about recognising yourself, what your motivations are, you own self discipline and taking the route that serves you best. If that is 0 to hero in 4 months, ATPL's in 4, TR in 2 and line training within the year then so be it.

Finally, there is no excuse for ignorance.

Cue the posts, littered with quotes of what I've written, pedantically cross examined. It's not about changing opinions, just respecting some others may see things differently.