PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Frustrated (?) pilots and security screening
Old 9th Aug 2007, 21:49
busty bird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fortuna 76,
I do apologise fully for a very unnecessary comment about pilots......I do respect that it is not an easy job - honestly I'm just starting out with my PPL..
Yes I had had a bad day and had to deal with a very very rude Capt who seemed to think it was perfectly acceptable for me to risk my job by ignoring the current security rules to suit him. He wasn't a nice man and he did seem to think he was far more important than any other person walking this earth, and I was not prepared to ignore the fact that he had been abusive to a member of staff. But it is wrong for me to take that out on any other pilot that happens to be out there - and yes there are plenty out there that are very nice and several that I am very good mates with.
So SORRY, honestly it was wrong SORRY!
In just the same way there are plenty of security staff that are a pain in the bloody arse too I know, but lots that are just doing their best to do a good job.
Security staffing is all about getting numbers through the door now - not about quality at all. And while it's run by airports who are far more interested in trying to make money out of more and more shops that in security it will remain the same.
I'm not sure about the 'use your common sense' and 'don't just stick to the rules' still. I would love to have that luxury - but it is part of my job (sorry not updated my profile ever, I'm not ops controller but Terminal Manager) to ensure that the current security restrictions are enforced and that we comply to the legislation that is served on the Airport by the DfT. Believe me when I can I do try to 'bend' the rules.....but there is only so far that I can go. I constantly have the DfT breathing down my neck doing covert tests and giving out a bollocking as soon as look at you...like when 6 passengers in the last hour passed through OBC with 2 pieces of hand baggage - like that was likely to be putting everyone at a huge risk!???
I do do what I can but I can't change the rules and I don't have the luxury to be able to ignore them - it could easily cost me my job.
What's the answer? Do I start a one man rebellion and just decide that the security restrictions should just be ignored? Doubt I'd last the day out...
OK - Quick question for you. Since 9/11 the use of Flight Deck jump seats for non-op crew or anyone else was banned - DfT Direction on the Airlines. So you guys up front cannot take your wife / girlfriend / husband / kids on the flight deck to see you doing your job.......
Does it happen still, sometimes maybe, probably - but if flight deck are caught what are the consequences? Recently DfT inspector found a Captains 7 year old son in the jump seat before pushback. Capt was reported to his company and was suspended pending full investigation, luckily he kept his job...(good mate of mine)
Stupid rule - of course it is, but would you ignore it? Maybe you would, a bit of a random comparison I know... but I'm interested.
I think the most frustrating thing is that the current security of Airports is far more about PR and making the public believe they are safer than actually making it safer!
As I think someone has said it's more aout money than a lot of people realise - selling x-rays, AMDs etc is big business.
So what do we do??? I don't know - except take 3 weeks off work and not think about it for a while! So that's what I'm doing. (and not a plane either....can't stand all the bloody queues at Airport Security!)
Lets just try to be a bit nicer to each other!!