PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - About time somebody asked this...
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2007, 14:04
BluntM8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RCS, eh?
Is 1 sq m partictuarly large, small or indifferent? How does that compare to the average values for a Torndao or F15, for example? What is the minimum RCS you could expect an air intercept radar to detect at normal operating frequencies? What about a ground mapping radar? Your reply needs more information to be complete (well, for those of us who don't know these things anyway!).
I did a google to try to answer the above myself, but couldn't find anything. However, I did learn:
When the object's size spans several wavelengths, the RCS of a target object is equal to the cross-sectional area of a perfectly conducting sphere that would produce the same magnitude of reflection as that observed from the target object.
(from Wikipedia)
Every day is a school day!
Blunty

Edit: Further research suggests that the typical RCS values for a fighter type ac range between 1 and 50 square metres. The main variables are aspect, and frequency. This information taken from the very useful http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question...cs/q0168.shtml , if you're interested. Blunty (who ought to find some real work to do...)