PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Frustrated (?) pilots and security screening
Old 8th Aug 2007, 08:54
Lord Lucan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
busty bird

I think the worst behaviour I've ever heard is a Capt 'concealing' a bottle of aftershave in his pants
If this is the worst behaviour you ever heard – you must lead a sheltered life.

To me this attitude encapsulates everything that is wrong with so called security. Is this captains aftershave a genuine security problem? I think not. Nothing is endangered. The captain, we presume, did not use the concealed aftershave in some Hollywood fantasy terror plot. It is the whole focus on rules, rather than genuine risk, that is a major problem.

Security as currently conceived is obvious nonsense. Airport security is just theatre. Anyone who has to deal with it as passenger or crew can see this. And they can see a squillion ways that this security could be subverted. Misplaced concern about aftershave typifies the obsession with being obedient little drones rather than any real concern for safety.

And one other thing.

Airport Staff and Security Staff do NOT make the rules - we just suffer the consequences of the abuse from staff who object to them
This is known as the Nuremberg defence. (I was just following orders). I didn’t work last time. Each person has to think for themselves and not mindlessly do what they are told.

It is airside workers and passengers who suffer from the unthinking rule-following of airport security.