PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New technologies, reason for accidents...?
Old 7th Aug 2007, 15:08
ExSimGuy

Sims Fly Virtually

Location: Used to be 3rd Sand Dune from the Left - But now I'm somewhere else somewhere else.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Signs ofthe Times?

Lemper's post reminded me of BA Training Centre (Cranebank, Heathrow) when a cartoon appeared on the notice board . . . .

Picture of two pilots, sitting in armchairs, with a bare control panel in front of them apart from two buttons: "stop" and "go". Caption: "It's great what our union has done for us"

That was some years ago, when a 747 (with round instruments!) was allowed to go to (I think) 500' before human hands had to be in control. Maybe I'm an old "dino",but I'd still rather have some of the guys I knew then have control of the aircraft, than someone who knew just how to set up the computer.

The computers may be great, but when s*** comes to bust, I still believe you need raw airmanship. Sadly, it appears that my worries have at least some foundation, that all of the "autos" are depriving us (us in the back, and you guys in the front) of the experience that's needed when in a nasty corner.