PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK MC miscomm
Thread: EK MC miscomm
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2007, 21:31
mensaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry Gortex, its not splitting hairs. This is the culture at EK. 1500' AAL, yet the triggers are based on Radalt. I find that to be a bit odd to say the least.

As far as this being a 'DEC event' I have to disagree. I'm sure everyone who knows me understands my POV regarding the DEC policy and if you don't, then here it is............ It is the most flawed policy that EK has made in its entire history.

But, I refuse to believe some of the things posted here wrt to the Captains decision- making process.

First off, none of us has all the information. And to be honest, after consultataion with SMNC, voicing my concerns and giving alternate suggestions, if they 'still' requested what they allegedly did, then I too would have done exactly what this Captain did.

Keep in mind that most of this comes from a passenger, and no offence intended, but clearly he is even less informed than what this company allows for us pilots. No doubt the minions sitting at a desk will not be questioned at all, and in their defence, they are overworked, undermanned and under trained. It always boils down to the pilots, yet for some reason we are not given the required authority and respect due, considering this obligation. This is the inherent flaw within EK. They demand so much from us, yet put forth an atmosphere of 'fear and intimidation' towards us.

Then again when you hire the likes of TCAS and ED ( the non-literate native english speaker), then the results are predictable. My god, ED's latest email about ENGLIGH TESTING FOR PILOTS, begins with a sentence at which a 5th grader would laugh. If only we had one person in management that would even try to express to the upper echelons that we must be trained, encouraged and supported to make decisions, then this airline would not be headed towards another serious incident without doubt.

In my opinion, and I totally agree I don't have all the facts, this Captain did a great job and for us to slag him, is undermining our position as pilots as well as inadvertently supporting the misguided policies of management at EK.

Last edited by mensaboy; 6th Aug 2007 at 21:52.