PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Secret Plan to Remove Quarters
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2007, 16:11
SirToppamHat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Affirmatron, you're right; but the gist of it was that if you can't afford to move your family it's the same as choosing not to move your family. From what I understood, if I'm posted from Scotland to London then I have to accept that my family will stay in Scotland while I live in for the duration of my tour.
Which would, in turn, make one no longer eligible for Boarding School Allowance/Continuity of Education Allowance - so the Service wins again then.

<<RANT WARNING>>

My understanding is that we are on license to occupy FQs precisely so that we are prevented from exercising our right as tennants. I am lucky at the moment, I live in a good FQ on a nice patch, but in the next couple of months, I will be moving Mrs Hat and the Hats Minor to a dump. What I have noticed over the past XX years is that the cost of living in a FQ has increased dramatically, but the standard of service has plummeted.

MODern Housing Solutions is a bad joke that has no chance of success because THERE IS NO MONEY, which is kind where we came in isn't it? Every time I see a workman they are botching whatever job they have been given. My roof still leaks 6 weeks after a temporary repair. Reported it? Yes. Emergency? No. Estimate of time to repair? Not possible. What makes it worse is that most of the people visiting FQs to do repairs are pretty reasonable people - but they are working with their hands tied behind their backs. They have been told not to spend too long on a job. If that means botching and running away, then that's what they have been told to do [U]in writing[U], and get the occupant to raise an additional job, which sets the clock back to zero and produces another tick in their stats.
There is no preventive maintenance going on (even when its necessity is reported), and in many cases they would rather move a family out of a FQ than fix a problem (been there, done that).

In my opinion, those responsible for the original sell-off of the FQs should have been strung-up.

<<RANT OFF>>

Sorry about that, and I haven't had a drink since Sunday morning!

STH