PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomsonfly FTE Scheme
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2007, 01:39
jaymak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Love Joy
Jaymak, just wondering why you are considering the FTE course if you already have a CPL with night rating? Surely you only need to convert to JAR and get yourself an IR at this stage.
OK. Reasons:

The cost of converting is said to be nearly as much as the licence itself.
I haven't done the seven Australian ATPL exams.
Coming from a FTO like FTE will, in my judgement, look more appealing to the airlines. They'll know you've had the correct training etc.
By having this previous twin experience, I may stand out at the end of the course, and thus get employed sooner.
And the reason I'm looking at a career in Europe, is simply because I'd prefer to live over there than Oz.

Originally Posted by Love Joy
The FTE integrated course is aimed squarely at individuls with little or no experience and takes them all the way up to frozen ATPL. By the time we leave here, we'll have 150hrs TT with another 50 on synthetic trainers. You already have more hours than most guys graduate with.
The ab-initio course is a residential, integrated course taking the student with little or no previous flying experience to the beginning of a career as an airline pilot.
It's not who the course is aimed at that I care about, it's where the course will get me. And 200hrs really isn't that much.

Single Engine - 118 hours - Warrior PA28
Twin Engine - 32 hours - Seneca III PA34
You end up with ~32hrs TT, not 150, and it doesn't say if it's solo or dual.
The airline cadets at my training school, FTA, fly the twins, but it's all for the IR and it's all dual. Could be the same at FTE.

Right now, I've only got a PPL. I got it, and did all the CPL theory exams, before I decided on FTE. So, I've done the theory, may as well do the fun part and get the whole CPL. I'm hoping the twin command hours help me after the course.

The other quotes are from the FTE site.