PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I feel the need to change my career...
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 00:07
Midlife Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel the need to change my career...

Okay, first of all I apologise, as the amount of posts that appear on here of a similar nature I appreciate is numerous.

I am seriously considering making a change, hopefully for the better. Unlike some I really enjoy what I do at present, but can I see myself here 20 years down the road, that's something I cannot honestly answer right now.

I've wanted for sometime to achieve my PPL rating, but due to financial issues have been unable to reach my goal, in fact, I can honestly say I have never took a lesson, aside from taking the controls on two seperate occasions when flying with colleagues, well keeping the plane flying in a straight line.

I plan to take my Class 1 medical later this month and thereafter possibly an aptitude test before I commit further.

I want to take this all the way to become a pilot of a passenger jet, however to do so I have to go all in. I can probably get the funds to finance a residential overseas course in the states (JAA) and see me through the year, but I'm 34 years of age and I won't be able to start until I'm 35, except I should be able to commence ground school much earlier (subject to passing the medical and aptitude test of course). It will probably mean liquidating all my assets to do so. I'm single with no children, so my responsibilities are rather low, but my conviction is 100%.

I suffer from heredity hypertension (high blood Pressure), for which I take medication and have no symptoms. I only found out I even had it after a routine company medical.

I know it's a gamble, but I don't want to look back 10 years from now and think 'if only...'

Any advice would be really appreciated, am I just suffering from a severe midlife crisis or with dedication and commitment do I have a chance given that I've left it rather late in life and there are a lot more younger people out there with college degrees and the like?

Thanks for your time and replies...