PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Overwing Exits and Frequent Fliers?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 12:27
parabellum
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, almost out of the wheel!

Thanks F3G, very interesting reading.

"I do not share your confidence that crew out of position will necessarily react any differently to anyone else - they might do, but then again they might not".

Yes, it will be an individual thing and may depend on the strength and quality of the training, my hope would be that someone who has had some training would be a better option than someone who has had no training.
My background is forty four years of continuous training which goes some way to explain my faith in it. I really don't want to be put to the test, ever!

I accept that 90% of what River's says is likely to be true today but I would be interested to read what he would now say with the benefit of the last eighty odd years of civil aviation accidents and the information gleaned from them.

Two cases come to mind that highlight both personal qualities and the quality of training. In one case a very brave BOAC lady gave her life, as CC, trying to evacuate a disabled passenger from a burning B707 at LHR in 1968 and in another instance, somewhere in Europe I think, a smoke filled B707 made an emergency landing, all the crew got out and none of the passengers.

As far as this thread goes I believe that the bottom line is that anyone in an overwing exit seat should be capable of operating the exit and initiating an evacuation as quickly as possible, money or FF points should not be a factor. Now taking the second exit!