PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spin Recovery
Thread: Spin Recovery
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 11:10
Speedbird48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spinning

Beagle,

Well said as always. We are a few years apart and a large lake, but you and I share a lot of views as we were taught to fly properly.

The more I read this, almost continuous, discussion regarding spinning and spin recovery it tells me that we need to be teaching the subject once again. And, if the modern tin/plastic can won't spin properly find one that will. They will all spin in some way or another, if you try hard enough, so why not teach it.

I was taught to fly in the '50's in the UK in a Miles Magister. When it stalled it was very inclined to spin so we were educated accordingly and it was no big issue. Upright spins, flat spins, inverted spins.

I have just been involved in putting together a spin upset program, and had a difficulty getting the academics to put a discussion of the various forms of spins into it. They only wanted to talk about normal upright spins??

We keep getting this crap that we hurt more people training than we did with real spins, perhaps we should go back to square one, and properly educate the teachers!!

If it frightens the little darlings let then take up cross stitch. It might just save their precious little behinds.

I used to fly with an *** inspector that would not do "stalls" unless I was with him?? Where do the standards start??? What sort of check rides was this guy giving?? And no I am not an aerobatic dinosaur either. I do them very rarely.

Rant over, I will get my coat and the tin hat!!

Speedbird 48.