PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Overwing Exits and Frequent Fliers?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 07:52
Final 3 Greens

Parabellum

Responding to the reasonable tone of your last post, I attach a reference in which you and others may or may not be interested. Its old, but considered classic.

http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Rivers/chap7.htm

The particular point of interest is the heading "Manipulative Activity" and you may find this interesting in the context of the author naming aeroplane pilots in this context.

You might wish to consider that manipulative activity requires someone to perform a series of actions, which aggregate to complex activity. These actions are learned (reinforced) by whatever method (e.g. training) and then the unconscious mind repeats these actions in the even of crisis.
So Rivers theory would tend to support your view of trained individuals reacting as trained.

Now for the tough bit. The training only works in context. Were I a pax in your aircraft and we suffered a dreadful mishap, I would expect you to react to your training and do your best until it was no longer possible. Volcanic ash and 747 springs to mind here, Capt Moody and his crew demonstrated manipulative activity to a very high standard.

So if a person is not in a position where they can apply the manipulative activity, there has to be some considerable uncertainty as to how they might react and the four other classic reactions, including flight and immobility.
The other tricky part is motivation, which impacts on behaviour.
Rivers published his work before Maslow's classic tome on human motivation, so did not synthesise this thinking.

Maslow's hierarchy of human need starts with the classic 'physiological', where the body reacts to an external stimulus without conscious intervention - if your hand feels pain, pull it away from the source of the pain.

In modern psychology autonomic reaction is recognised, where the body reacts to a threat and then the emotions follow the release of chemicals, e.g. adrenaline, that drive them; its hard to react in a calm and logical manner with a good deal of adrenaline pumping through your system.
I'll stop here before this gets too unintelligible and boring, but I hope this short insight may explain why I do not share your confidence that crew out of position will necessarily react any differently to anyone else - they might do, but then again they might not.
Edited to add: I'm not trying to start up the whole thread again, just thought some may be interested in the above.

Last edited by Final 3 Greens; 2nd Aug 2007 at 08:17.