PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Side Slipping C172
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2007, 23:04
Phil73805

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all, if I may add my two pence
To my mind, twisted though it may be, if I'm high all the way down the approach doesn't good airmanship dictate that I avail myself of the humble go-around? It may make you feel like a nonce but I'd rather feel like a nonce then have the good airfield maintenance boys n girls remove my remains from the runway with a spatula.

As for the instructor wanting you to try sideslipping on your first solo, I cannot begin to express how ludicrous this is! That he can't demonstrate it effectively is almost beside the point, your first solo is about demonstrating to yourself your hard earned competence while also leaving you with a sense that there is more to learn, it is not about experimenting with a technique that you haven't been able to do yet!

To me the sideslip is useful arrow in the quiver for glide approaches or practise (or not) forced landings to enable you to make the field in a last ditch situation. You should make the effort to learn it but there is ample time later in your training. Otherwise go-around and try again. The unique balance of wind, turbulence etc. will never again occur in exactly the same way. Going around gives you a chance to try again under different circumstances.

I hope this is of some help. The best of luck with your training.

Phil